There are two ways to file a VA compensation claim: print the 526EZ and mail/fax it, or submit it electronically through VA and DoD’s eBenefits web portal. Most Veterans opt for the former, cross their fingers, and hope for the best. But unless you are just leaving the military, with well-documented and easily accessible service treatment records, this isn’t the best approach.

As a public affairs officer for the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA), I wanted to learn more about the VA compensation claim process. So, I went to school. I recently completed training as a rater so that I could share with you the information and tips and tricks and suggestions I learned while working with those who rate claims for VBA.

Click here to read more.